The Azion Hello World template deploys an edge application that prints a Hello, World! message in your browser and you can use it as a starting point to become familiar with Azion Edge Platform and edge computing capabilities.
RequirementsSection titled Requirements
To use this template, you must activate:
You need to activate this module via Real-Time Manager (RTM). To do so:
- Access Real-Time Manager (RTM) > Account menu
- Select the Billing & Subscriptions option.
- Select the Subscriptions tab.
- Activate the switch for the module.
Getting the templateSection titled Getting the template
To use the Hello World template, access Real-Time Manager (RTM) and select the Start with a template option on the homepage.
This will open a new page where you can select the Hello World card.
Setting up the templateSection titled Setting up the template
Once you’re in the template’s page, click the Settings tab to open the configuration form and provide the information to configure your application.
Fields identified with an asterisk are mandatory.
- Application Name *: the name of your edge application. It’s used to identify and manage your application within Azion’s platform.
- Use a unique and easy-to-remember name. If the name has already been used, the platform returns an error message.
- GitHub Personal Token *: your GitHub personal token.
After completing all the information, click the Next button, located in the bottom-right corner to start the deployment.
Deploying the templateSection titled Deploying the template
During the deployment, you’ll be able to follow the process through a window showing off the logs. When it’s complete, the deployment page appears, confirming the edge application has been successfully created.
This page shows you the following sections:
- Access your Edge Application section includes the link to visit and explore your edge application.
- Build Summary contains the application’s name and function.
- The Deployment details tab can be opened to access the logs related to the deployment.
- What do you want to do next? provides recommendations regarding advanced options to enhance your edge application: Customize Domain, Manage Edge Application, View Edge Application Metrics, View Edge Application Logs, and the Back to Home button.
Key configurationsSection titled Key configurations
By deploying the Hello World template, the script creates an edge application to run on Azion’s platform, including its Azion domain and multiple configurations. It also creates an edge function for the custom logic to show the Hello World! message.
Additionally, a GitHub repository is created in your account to manage the source code. The script installs all required dependencies and registers the deployment details, including information related to the version deployed and the timestamp of changes. The repository includes a GitHub Action that, by being activated, ensures a continuous deployment workflow, keeping your project up to date.
If you want to know more on how to edit and customize your project’s settings, go to the Managing the template section.
Managing the templateSection titled Managing the template
Considering that this initial setup may not be optimal for your specific edge application, all settings can be customized any time you need by using RTM.
To manage and edit your edge application’s settings, proceed as follows:
- Access RTM.
- On the upper-left corner, select Products menu > Edge Application.
- You’ll be redirected to the Edge Application page. It lists all the edge applications you’ve created.
- Find the edge application related to the Hello World template and select it.
- The list is organized alphabetically. You can also use the search bar located in the upper-left corner of the list; currently, it filters only by Application Name.
After selecting the edge application you’ll work on, you’ll be directed to a page containing all the settings you can configure.
Continuous deploymentSection titled Continuous deployment
Once the template is deployed, you can also edit and update your args and code, as well as implement a continuous deployment workflow. However, you’ll need first to declare secrets on your project’s GitHub repository to complete the second build with the changes. When the second build is completed, you’ll be able to manage your project with a continuous deployment workflow and edit the args as desired.
To do so, open your new Hello World template repository on GitHub. Then, go to Settings > Secrets and variables > Action to add your variables, following these instructions:
- Add the Azion personal token to the secrets:
- Read how to generate an Azion personal token in the documentation.
- Add the environments that’ll be used in the action workflow in the main.yml file, included in the .github/workflows folder of your repository:
- Open a pull request to merge the changes to the main branch and start the automatic deployment.
Now, your project is ready to work with a continuous deployment workflow, updating instantly any changes in the application or the repository.
Adding a custom domainSection titled Adding a custom domain
The edge application created during the deployment has an assigned Azion domain to make it accessible through the browser. The domain has the following format:
xxxxxxxxxx.map.azionedge.net. However, you can add a custom domain for users to access your edge application through it.